Saturday, June 14, 2008

Long Run

12 miles. Ultra slow. Second outing at a morning long run to avoid heat. Last one not too successful. So Friday was a day off work. Resting watching US golf open on pacific time. Had a great evening meal. Early night. No beers. Even awake around 4am. Alarm 5am to allow time to wake up. So this time ready for stillness of morning as dawn breaks and 77F. But hooking up with trail legs were hurting. Then a bathroom break I though I'd taken care of at home couldn't be put off to the restroom at turnaround point. So worked on goal of making it to Eldridge with plenty of folks out training. Stopping to hydrate at water fountains. Ultimately feeling nauseous and legs hurting made whole experience quite ugly. Running for me has mostly been fun - although tiring. What is it I can't handle about morning runs? I read blogs of other runners always up at 5am to avoid heat and they report no issues. Sure the first 2 miles are a warm up/wake up and can be brutal. But it is meant to get better. Today it did not. On the way back I tried to hang with 4 guys running about 8:00 mile pace. But taking long water stop breaks. So a few miles were faster.

No comments: